Quinoa is one of my favorite grains to cook with! It's filled with protein, magnesium, iron and so much more. I love it because it can be eaten hot or cold. You can use it like a rice or a salad. Today I decided to make more of a sweet salad quinoa. Sometimes I make a large amount of this salad and use the leftovers as much lunch for the week. This time I used it as a side for my early dinner! Check it out below.
- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 apple
- 1 or 2 handfuls of dried cranberry
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Raspberry or balsamic vinaigrette (optional)
- In a medium sized pot bring 2 cups of water and about a table spoon of salt to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of quinoa to boiling water, also add a small amount of olive oil to the water at this time
- Let the quinoa sit in the boiling water for about 3-5 minutes then lower heat and cover the pot until quinoa is soft, fluffy, and the water has evaporated.
- Turn off heat, stir, and add coconut oil to the quinoa (maybe a spoonful or 2, as much as you feel necessary.)
- add a dash of salt to the quinoa, then put the quinoa into a bowl after it has cooled off, put the bowl of quinoa into the fridge and let it chill for about 15- 20 minutes.
- After the quinoa has chilled add more coconut oil, chopped apples, and dried cranberries to the mix and serve!
Note: The coconut oil is easier to use if it is in liquid form, either buy liquid coconut oil or place your coconut oil near something hot so it will melt and you can easily mix it into your quinoa.
Chopped Cucumber Avocado Salad
This is a cool 10 minute recipe. I get super lazy sometimes and I don't feel like cooking or creating some super fantastic meal. So I think this salad is perfect for those moments. I normally put it in an enormous bowl and eat until I can no more!! :) haha That probably isn't good advice but hey a little cucumber avocado never hurt any one..I hope lol any who the simple recipe is below.
- Chopped Cucumbers
- 1 Avocado
- Chopped Tomato
- Sesame Seeds
- Balsamic Vinegar
Add your own flavor, Enjoy!